Big Hollow Off-Grid Cabin
This is a two bedroom off-grid cabin (no running water, solar powered lights) with open living/dining room area and covered porch. One bedroom has a queen size bed and one has two double beds. The living area has a couch, coffee table, four-person dining table with chairs, and a concrete countertop in one corner. A portable restroom, campfire ring, upright charcoal grill, picnic table, sitting benches, and serving station are provided outside. The serving station has a concrete countertop, sink and a cistern pump connected to a rain barrel for non-potable water needs.
Sleeps 6; maximum capacity: 10
Off-Grid Cabin Info (PDF)
Cabin is available by reservation only and may be reserved up to twenty four (24) months in advance.
Reserve your stay in the Off Grid Cabin at MyCountyParks.com.
$40/night; two night minimum
Optional: Borrow a canoe during your stay free of charge. Included complimentary canoe with paddles and life jackets for use on the lake any time while renting the cabin. **If you would like a free canoe for your stay, please include the request during the final step of check-out**
Hours of Operation & Seasons
Cabin available yearly from April 1 to October 31.
Check-in time is 3:00 PM. Check-out time is 12:00 PM.
Returned keys should be placed inside the key lock box attached to the cabin. Lost or stolen keys will result in a $50.00 replacement charge.
Cabin and surrounding grounds should be cleaned and left in good condition. Any damaged or stolen property will be charged to the renter.
East end of Big Hollow Recreation Area.
15631 Big Hollow Dr., Sperry, IA 52650
Cabin Rules & Regulations
- Smoking is prohibited in the cabins
- No flame-producing devices (candles, lanterns, etc.) allowed in the cabin
- Quiet hours are 10:30 p.m. - 6:00 a.m.
- Non-registered guests must leave by 10:30 p.m.
- Responsible party of record will be held responsible for any damages or theft that occurs
- Pets are not allowed in the cabin
- No one under the age of 21 is allowed to occupy a cabin unless that minor is accompanied by a parent or legal guardian, 21 years or older
- Maximum number of occupants: 10; Cabin is furnished to sleep 6
- No camping trailers or tents may be at the cabins; please use the campground
- Keep all vehicles on roads or designated parking areas
- No outside firewood may be brought in. Firewood is available at Big Hollow, three pieces for $1.
- Only paper and wood products may be burned in the fire ring. Fires must be contained completely within the ring.
- Park Rangers have authority to refuse rental privileges and rescind any and all rental permits for cause
- All Park Rules & Regulations of Des Moines County Conservation apply
DMCC Rules & Regulations (PDF)
DMCC Refund Policy (PDF)
What to Bring
- Sleeping bags/bedding/pillows
- Note: the mattresses are very firm. Bring extra padding or blankets if you prefer a softer bed.
- Cookware, dishes and utensils
- Outdoor cooking stove
- Fresh water
- Dish soap and dish towels
- Flashlights/lanterns and extra batteries
- Note: No flame-producing devices are allowed in the cabin.
- Trash bags
- Lawn chairs